ShotGrid is one of the most popular production management tools for VFX, game development and animation. Instead of copying and pasting review data into both systems, Education Plus and Enterprise users can take advantage of our ShotGrid integration.
To see how the Shotgrid integration might help you, have a look at the article on syncing playlists and notes here
Integrating the two systems is straightforward. All you need to do is create a Script User in ShotGrid with access to Playlists, Shots, Versions and Notes, so SyncSketch can synchronize reviews and push notes back into ShotGrid. Let's get started.
Creating a ShotGrid Script User
ShotGrid gives you the option to create script-based users which allow developers to communicate with ShotGrid through a programming interface (API). You can find the option to create a Script User in ShotGrid main user menu, about halfway down.
Once you have selected Scripts you'll see the Scripts Overview page. Please hit the Add Script button to open the dialog. The name of the script user can be anything, e.g. "syncsketch_api"
Note: You can find a list of the minimum permissions required for the script to operate here
To summarize, for our integration to work you need:
- The script name (without spaces)
- The URL of your website. Do not include a path. e.g https://yourstudio.shotgunstudio.com
- The Application Key
Activating the Integration
Currently the ShotGrid Integration is only available on our Enterprise, Education and Education+ plans. If you want to test the integration, please reach out to us to find out how you can upgrade your account.
If you're already on an Enterprise or Education account, you'll find the Integrations view in the Settings tab in your Workspace Settings:
After entering a Name that you will use to refer to this connection, simply enter the information from the first step into the URL, Script Name and Secret Key fields to activate the ShotGrid integration.
Click Test Connection to make sure everything is linked up correctly. If an alert drops down saying "Connected!", that's it, you're ready to go! You can proceed to Syncing Playlists and Notes with ShotGrid.
You can also set up your ShotGrid integration at the Project level - this would allow you to control which Projects have access to ShotGrid through the integration. You could also set up different Projects with different ShotGrid entities.
ShotGrid Firewall (IP Allowlisting)
If you're using a ShotGrid Firewall (IP Allowlist), please refer to our Allow-listing our domains for your Firewall article for which IP addresses need to be added to the allowlist. Please note: this is only necessary if you have enabled the ShotGrid IP Allowlist.
Multiple ShotGrid instances
If you are running multiple ShotGrid instances, take a look at ShotGrid Project Links and Multiple Configs.
When I test the connection, it says "Can't authenticate script user".
Here are the things to check to resolve a failure to connect to your ShotGrid instance:
- Check the URL. In most cases, the path is unnecessary and can cause connection problems. For example, https://shotgrid.game-studio.com/ will succeed where https://shotgrid.game-studio.com/page/project_overview?project_id=122 will not.
- Check the Script in ShotGrid. Make sure that the script appears in the Scripts page.
- Check the Script Name in SyncSketch. Make sure it exactly matches the Script Name in the Scripts list in ShotGrid, character for character. It should not be a person's name, an alias or an email.
- Try a new API Key. Here's how to generate a new Application Key:
- Under your Admin menu, go the Scripts page.
- Switch the Scripts page to the Detail View, if it isn't already.
- Select the script that you're syncing to SyncSketch.
- Go to the Script Info tab for your script, and click Change Key.
- Click Generate Key, then click Copy to Clipboard.
- After dismissing the dialog by clicking Save, return to SyncSketch,
- Clear the Secret Key field, then paste the new key into it and Test the connection again.
The sort order in SyncSketch does not match ShotGrid.
To ensure that the sort order between ShotGrid and SyncSketch match, use the ShotGrid field sg_sort_order for sorting.
Check the following items to ensure you are set up to receive emails from ShotGrid.
- "Generate Events" option is checked for your script user
- Account Settings -> Email Notifications -> "Email me whenever I receive a note" is checked for your user profile