How to get 3D models with textures and/or animation into a Review
The new 3D Model Viewer supports model files in the following formats:
- DAE (Collada)
If your favorite format is not listed, try using a format conversion utility. There are many available, often free, and often as online web applications. If these solutions are not going to work for you, please contact us at email@example.com.
SyncSketch supports GLB files using Draco file compression.
SyncSketch supports FBX metadata properties such as framerate and time ranges.
Models with file/folder structures
Models with multiple files (such as GLTF, or models with separate texture or material files) should be uploaded as a ZIP archive. The name of the zip file will be the default item title in SyncSketch.
Changing the default view
The default view may not always be the ideal view. To change the default view that reviewers will see when they load the file, you can use use the Save as Default feature of the 3D Viewer Settings panel:
- Navigate to the ideal starting position.
- Open the gear menu in the upper right corner of the viewport.
- Select Save as Default.
This will update the default position, the thumbnail, and also any settings you've changed in this menu.
Setting the Thumbnail
Once uploaded, the item will have a generic thumbnail. The thumbnail can be updated the following ways:
- The first time the file is opened, a thumbnail will be created from the default view, as long as no reviewers have yet joined the review.
- Under the Gear menu in the Model Viewer, setting defaults will also update the thumbnail from the current view in the Model Viewer
- Choosing an option from the Set Thumbnail menu: